Victims speak out about drinking and driving

About 60 people listened to a presentation on Thursday night by a survivor of a drunken driving crash. The program was held at KCKCC-TEC, 6565 State Ave., Kansas City, Kansas. (Staff photo)

A victim of drunken driving who underwent more than 25 surgeries told his story Thursday evening in a presentation that brought tears to the eyes of some of those present at KCKCC-TEC.

The survivor, who lives in another Kansas county, was only 25 years old when his car was T-boned, leaving him in the hospital with serious injuries for months and in recovery for years. His parents had to take care of him at home after the hospitalization.

“It’s just so much toll on one family,” Jeff, the survivor of the crash, said. “I wouldn’t want anyone affected like I was.”

Jeff said the drunken driver was lucky that Jeff didn’t die and the driver didn’t have to live with that guilt. And he said what happened was 100 percent preventable. It happened “all because some guy couldn’t take a cab,” according to an officer’s comment in a video shown at the event.

Jeff had not done anything wrong while driving, but was hit by a drunken driver going over 100 mph in a crash in 2015 that changed his life. He had been applying for medical school, but had to put his dreams on hold for years. He said he still wants to be a doctor.

Victims of drunken driving on Thursday faced a roomful of around 60 people who were ordered by a court to be there at the program at KCKCC-TEC because of violations. Two survivors made an emotionally charged appeal to them not to drink and drive. It was part of a program by Mothers Against Drunk Driving, the Wyandotte County District Attorney’s office and Wyandotte County courts, the Wyandotte County Sheriff’s Department, Kansas Highway Patrol troopers and KCKCC.

A second victim, Jan, who lives in another Kansas county, described the shock and sadness she felt when she got the call in the 1980s that her daughter had been killed by a drunken driver in Texas. It was the driver’s seventh driving-while-intoxicated violation.

“I’ll never, ever forget that phone call, I never thought we would ever have to bury one of the kids,” she said. She was never able again to do any mother-daughter activities with her daughter. Her daughter, who had a child, was never able to see the child grow up, play football and graduate.

She added she was not there to criticize anyone, as she knows everyone makes mistakes, but she just wanted them to understand there are consequences to drinking and driving, and there are lives lost because of those actions.

“We’re serving a lifetime sentence,” she said about the survivors of the victims of drinking and driving. “It will never be over for us.”

She urged the audience to plan ahead, have a designated driver, take a cab or call someone for a ride.

“It’s 100 percent preventable,” she said.

MADD’s Victim Impact Panel has been used successfully in other areas, and was recently brought to Wyandotte County, according to Wyandotte County District Attorney Mark Dupree.

“The thing about DUIs is it ranges from the educated to the uneducated, from 1st Street to 142nd Street,” Dupree said.

There’s no crime in drinking, but authorities are just warning people not to drink and drive, he added. He believes this MADD program can help bring about a change.

“Yes, it makes a difference,” he said about the MADD program of presenting the survivors’ stories. Some of those who are drinking and driving, or drinking and texting, are doing it without giving it much thought and do not think it is important.

“These real-life stories that are told of survivors who were hit and sometimes dismembered and greatly negatively affected by drinking and driving is an education to the unconscionable act that many of these people don’t even think about when doing it,” he said.

Many people attending these classes do not want to have crashes, but they just don’t think about drinking and driving, he said.

“Seeing the real-life stories corrects some of these first-time offenders and preferably causes them not to become the fifth, sixth and 12th-time offender,” Dupree said.

“The fact that Mothers Against Drunk Driving take out of their time to find survivors of these types of crimes and volunteers who have not only been in a situation where they were negatively affected but also have lost loved ones to drunk drivers, and they have the courage to stand in front of these folks and to enlighten them of the reality of what their actions do, is beyond commendable,” Dupree said. “They’re not prosecutors, not judges, not law enforcement, they’re simply community members who are saying any life that is lost, any survivor who has to go through what they have to go through, it affects us all.”

KCKCC women stay unbeaten heading into Lindsey Classic

by Alan Hoskins, KCKCC

Kansas City Kansas Community College’s unbeaten women’s basketball team heads into the annual Keith Lindsey Classic Friday and Saturday with Coach Joe McKinstry wondering which team will show up – the one that trailed Ottawa University junior varsity 40-37 at halftime Wednesday or the one that scored 51 second half points in an 88-63 win.

“Any win on the road is a good win but we’ve got to be able to play a complete game,” McKinstry said. “This is our second straight game in which we’ve only played one good half of basketball.”

KCKCC trailed by as many as five points late in the first quarter in a see-saw first half that had six ties and 11 lead changes.

In opening round play of the Keith Lindsey Classic Friday, KCKCC will clash with William Penn’s JV at 6 p.m. followed by the 2017 KCKCC Athletic Hall of Fame inductions of Mike Hinkle and Greg Wells and a men’s clash between KCKCC and Link Year Prep.

On Saturday, the Lady Blue Devils will face longtime rival Penn Valley at 4 p.m. with the men facing North Central Missouri at 6 p.m.

The Lady Blue Devils got big productions from 5-9 Kisi Young, 6-0 Nija Collier and 5-5 Lizzie Stark at Ottawa. Both Young and Collier had double doubles, Young with 20 points and 12 rebounds and Collier 16 points and 10 rebounds while Stark kept the Blue Devils in contention early with a game high 21 points. Collier was a perfect 8-for-8 from the field and Stark 9-of-13 including 3-of-4 from 3-point.

“Lizzie Stark did a great job of keeping us in the game when we were struggling in the first half,” McKenzie said. “Once our defense kicked in in the third quarter, we were able to use our size and athleticism to get some easy baskets. Kisi Young and Nija Collier really stepped up big in the second half with their scoring and rebounding.”

Caitlyn Stewart directed the offense with seven assists and added four steals; Alix Wilson had nine points on 3-of-4 three-pointers; and Lillie Moore had six points and five rebounds.

The Blue Devils only had a 48-42 edge in rebounding but outscored the Braves 50-30 in the paint and added another 28 points off 29 Ottawa turnovers. The Blue Devils were guilty of 23 turnovers themselves but shot well (49.4 percent) while holding Ottawa to just 8-of-37 second half shots (21.6 percent).

Play in the Keith Lindsey Classic will begin Friday at 2 p.m. with Penn Valley’s women facing Fort Scott followed by a 4 p.m. men’s game between Highland and North Central Missouri.

The KCKCC-William Penn women’s game at 6 p.m. and KCKCC-Link Year Prep contest at 8 p.m. will round out first day play.

On Saturday, Fort Scott and William Penn women will play at noon with a Highland-Link Year Prep men’s contest at 2 p.m. KCKCC and Penn Valley’s women will meet at 4 p.m. with the Blue Devil men facing North Central Missouri at 8 p.m.

Member of Trump’s Election Commission sues group and Kobach

by Stephen Koranda, Kansas News Service

One of the Democrats on President Donald Trump’s Advisory Commission on Election Integrity is suing the group and Republican Kansas Secretary of State Kris Kobach.

Kobach is vice chairman of the controversial panel, which Trump created to study election issues.

Maine Secretary of State Matt Dunlap, who filed the lawsuit, said he hadn’t been receiving information about voting commission activities.

“Secretary Dunlap has been, and continues to be, blocked from receiving commission documents necessary to carry out his responsibilities,” the lawsuit said.

Dunlap said the group operates with a lack of transparency. His lawsuit said Trump, Vice President Mike Pence and Kobach have attempted to create a “veneer of legitimacy” by making the panel bipartisan.

“But by obstructing certain commissioners’ access to information and failing to allow substantive participation of commissioners … the commission and its staff have compromised the legitimacy of any findings,” the suit argued.

Kobach, who is among the Republican candidates for Kansas governor, said the lawsuit is “baseless and paranoid.” In a statement provided by his office, Kobach said outside issues have stalled the commission’s work and he denied Dunlap’s charges.

“He assumes that correspondence regarding commission business was occurring but not being shared with him. Dunlap’s assumption is incorrect,” Kobach said. “I did not receive any such correspondence either.”

Those events include the death of a member of the group, lawsuits targeting the panel and the arrest of a staff member on charges unrelated to the group’s work.

“It is not at all surprising that commission staff were very busy during this period,” Kobach said. “Ironically, Dunlap’s lawsuit is only going to increase the workload faced by commission staff and Department of Justice attorneys.”

The commission last met in September.

Trump has made an unsubstantiated claim that there were millions of illegal votes in the 2016 election. Kobach has supported Trump’s argument while others have criticized it.

Stephen Koranda is Statehouse reporter for Kansas Public Radio, a partner in the Kansas News Service. Follow him on Twitter @kprkoranda. Kansas News Service stories and photos may be republished at no cost with proper attribution and a link back to kcur.org.

See more at http://kcur.org/post/member-trump-s-election-commission-sues-group-and-kobach.